Monday, October 24, 2011

The Best Thing That Could Be Happening

Where do I even start? The past week was quite possibly the best week I've had here! I wish there were words enough to describe the fun we had and the joy that last week brought. I am so glad that my God is faithful even when I am not. The blessing that have been poured out on me are far more than I deserve and I am so thankful! Okay, so let me just tell you all about last week.
For starters it was mid-term break, so we had the week off! Praise the Lord! It was definitely a much needed break for students and teachers alike.  We started our break by going to pot luck and then a movie night with some of the other teachers and some college students as well. We just had a really good time after the movie we were standing around the kitchen drinking coffee and talking when suddenly all eyes in the room were open wide staring at something behind Allison and myself. Needless to say we quickly made our way to the other side of the kitchen and were told that a rat and scampered out from under the fridge and in the laundry room. (NOT COOL! If you remember from my last post I am not really a fan of rats.)
Saturday, we slept late and then stayed in our beds even later, I think it was 2 or so before we ever left our room, that is the best way to spend the first day of a vacation in my opinion. I don't think we did much else on Saturday maybe watched another movie or just hung out I don't know. Sunday was another relativity lazy day we went to church and had lunch with the Carlisles. We came home and there was an excellent rain storm, perfect for Sunday afternoon nap, and doing nothing.
At some point Allison and I had decided that we were going to try and stay out of our house as much as possible this week. We haven't done a whole lot since we've been here and so we thought it would be a good idea simply to get out and see other people and do different things. In an effort to fulfill this goal we decided we would get up early and go to chapel at the college every morning. So that's what we did early Monday morning we walked up to the chapel... little did we know it was a public holiday so there was no chapel, no class it was very quiet on campus, mainly because we were the only people awake I'm pretty sure. OH well, it was nice we just walked and sat and enjoyed the quiet early morning.
The second part of our plan was to attend some classes at the college that week (yes, we realize that's lame and we're okay with it). But it was also mid-terms on campus which works more like finals in the states so everyone was out and about studying and just taking a break from the everyday routine. This also meant that Mista Owen (Owen is from Zimbabwe, but has been working at the academy for about 8 years or so teaching reception) opened up his house (because his other housemates were out of town for the week) as a place for some of the college guys to come and find a (mostly) quiet place to study, or just some where to get away from the stress of mid-terms and the madness that entails.  Because Owen is awesome, he also allowed Allison and I to come and crash his house whenever we felt necessary this week. So we spent a good amount of time there hanging out, watching movies, helping some of the college guys study, and most importantly gaining some really great friends in the process.
Other adventures from this week included: much swimming (because it is hot here, and we can swim in October.), laughing, drinking coke, reading in the garden, making doctors appointments for people, walking around, watching football (soccer), ending up at the one place we have been told never to go, making cinnamon rolls, swinging, "playing" basketball, and just having fun.
I must include the end of a story we started a long time ago... Remember the rat from Friday night? Okay good. SO I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday and Owen was making French Fries (because he's awesome) and Allison and I were rearranging the magnet letters to remind Owen he needed to take his friend to the doctor.  Several other people were just standing around talking and laughing at us... it was good time. So while were standing the rat crawled out from underneath the fridge and got on mY FOOT! AHHH! I screamed quite loudly and ran out of the room, I almost ran out of the house, but I managed to control myself... you'll have to read Ogles' blog to see what happened after that...I do know that everyone was laughing even Allison laughed at me. Zack was the first one to come and make sure I was still alive. I shook for about 10 minutes after that. Zack kept saying, "let me see your hands." It was all really excellent.
This week was excellent I really feel like I am finding my place here, thanks to some really great friends, Andrew, Ndaba, Owen, and  Zack this is finally starting to feel like a home. As I said before God is so good and has showered blessing upon blessing on me this week that I simply did not deserve. I can't wait to see what happens next.
 Once again thank you all for your prayers keep them coming they mean more than I could every express. We also really appreciate your notes and encouragement it's hard to be away from home and just knowing that people are thinking about you makes life that much easier!
Until next time...
"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his fact to shine upon you
           and be gracious to you;
the Lord life up his countenance upon
           you and give you peace."
 - Numbers 6:24-26

No comments:

Post a Comment