Saturday, September 3, 2011

One Month later...

...and we're still alive! Some things are getting easier, but some things are getting harder.  The entire journey has been simply incredible. The past week ran pretty similarly to the first. We woke up VERRRY early and went to school. School is one of the things that is getting easier, some things just happen. I finally know all of my kids names and only confuse them in moments of chaos. (This is something I was worried would never happen) My class and I are starting to get to know each other better and to find a routine that works for us all.
 I also started teaching ballet this week. I think this may be one of the hardest things I do here. My class is 3rd-5th grade (not my favorite age group) and there are about 20 of them. Hopefully we will be able to get into the swing of things just as quickly. But they come in around 3 after having been out of school for most of the afternoon and trying or regain their attention for an hour proved quite challenging. Some of them do not really want to be there, which is hard, some are only there because their friends are there, and some really do want to be there. So, we'll have to see how that all plays out...
 So, week two was quite a long one. By the time Friday rolled around I just wanted to sleep and sleep and sleep. Fortunately, Friday afternoons are pretty mellow. I just sat around the house watching movies and preparing mentally for the excitement of staff potluck.
   Potluck is something we haven't talk about before so I'll let you all in on that for a moment.  It is actually quite fun (but a bit stressful after a long week at school). All of the staff gets together every Friday night to share a meal and fellowship with one another. Each week one house is in charge of what to bring to potluck, they make a list of things that are needed and pass it around for everyone to sign up. Potluck is always held at the Chinchin's house. They have a room built on the back where we all come together to eat and chat and hang out. Like I said its a very neat thing and fun tradition, but very tiring.
Today (Saturday) Allison and I got to experience a bit of a more realistic Malawi... Thus far we have either been on campus or only gone grocery shopping which, despite the fact that it takes 3 times as long, is pretty similar to shopping in the states. But today we went to the chitenji/chitenge (not sure how to spell that) market with Sharlie who is AMAZING!. Chitenji is just fabric... but it is beautiful! The market is very exciting all of the woman are set up in two long rows at tables with tons of Chitenji out for you to look at. Allison and I being who we are had a hard time deciding and came out of the market with tons of fabric. The woman are wonderful though. They would look at the Chitenji we had already purchased and pick ones they thought we would like. I loved everything about it. The entire experience is just tons of fun.
 After that we went to... the post office... but really it was the parking lot where tons of people are set up with things they have made... earrings, wood carvings, stone carvings, anything you could ever imagine made out of bottle caps, pictures... tons of stuff. Here the men are a bit more, okay a lot more aggressive and try to sell you everything! It was hilarious! One of the men told Ogles his name was Chicken Leg... We left there with a few things and probably paid entirely too much for them, but that's okay we'll get the hang of it. The experience alone was worth it. We left saying we could probably have tons of fun just hanging out with those guys and helping them "sell" stuff to other people.
 Last we went to a little shop that seemed very normal... well after we went through what appeared to be a bit of a sketchy  parking lot/court yard. We went to a little mall type place and into a shop that had tons of fun things bags, wood carvings, wall hangings, pens, key chains... lots of fun stuff. But it was just a normal place.  A little feel of home.
All in all it was a very stress free day of shopping and a good time to just get off campus.
After shopping we spent the rest of the day reorganizing and cleaning our house... it's been quite a busy day.
So yeah we're getting used to life here. I love it here. There have been a few days when I thought I wouldn't make it, but I've been determined not to let stress and anxiety get the better of me. I really do love it here, this has been such a great experience already and I am so excited to see what else is in store. I have learned so much in the last month and have been stretched more than ever. Fortunately, I have a magnificent Savior who provides. And, I know I   add this all the time but it is just true... I feel the prayers of everyone. There are simply some days I am convinced I would have gotten on a plane home if it were not for the prayers and support of everyone at home. So thank you, thank you so much for faithfully lifting us up it means more than I can express with words. Please continue to pray that we would have an impact in the lives of our students and in turn their families, that we would continue to live and work in peace with those around us, that the country of Malawi will remain peaceful, that we would continue to adjust to life here and all that entails, that we would stay healthy physically and spiritually, and that we will not be overcome with anxiety or worry.
And so until next time I will leave you with these wonderful Lyrics by Kristian Stanfill...
SPRING OF LIFE
In this life we will find 
We will be yearning
In this life we will find
The world won’t satisfy
In this life we will find
That we will be empty
Without you

Jesus you’re the well
That won’t run dry
Jesus you’re the drink
That satisfies
Living water spring of life
Jesus you’re the well
That won’t run dry

In this life we will find
We will be searching
In this life we will find
The world won’t satisfy
In this life we will find
That we will be hopeless
Without you

We will thirst no more thirst no more
When we drink from you drink from you
We will search no more search no more
When we drink from you drink from you

Also don't for get to read Allison's blog you can get to it here

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for blogging! You are in my prayers often. God bless you for this amazing step in faith. May He water you daily with His Spirit to yeild much fruit! God keep you safely in His hand. Julia

    ReplyDelete