Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ever so slightly overwhelmed

I assumed that as some point this would probably happen, and to be honest I am glad it is happening early as opposed to later when I am standing in front of a room full of 5 and 6 year olds. Nonetheless this past few days have proven to be quite an overwhelming adventure.
If you've been keeping up with Allison you are pretty up to date on what has happened, but here is a brief run down... Sunday we went to the church here on campus it was good, it felt a little like being at home. We were also able to meet a lot of people, honestly I don't remember many of their names. Hopefully that won't be as much of an issue in the near future. Later we slept... A LOT! Then we went and had dinner with the Carlisle family. They were amazing! They made pancakes! And since, neither of us had much of an appetite until this evening they graciously allowed us to eat them out of house and home.
Monday we went up to the school for the first time to see our classrooms and get acquainted with things there. That is where the fun begins. School starts in two weeks and there is so much to do. I have been incredibly blessed with a team teacher, Mrs. Jean Mpata. Basically, this means that I am not in charge of my entire class alone we will share all of the teaching responsibilities. What a blessing!! We were also able to meet Craig, who is also working at the school this year. We decided that it would be a good idea to have him over for dinner. This may or may not have been a good idea considering this was our first night cooking on our own. We managed, and actually didn't do to badly. Allison posted some pictures so you should go look at them.
Tuesday was another day up at the school, I was able to start going through cabinets and looking at the plethora of resources I have to work with. Everything I think I could ever dream of needing as a kindergarten teacher is already in my room. So I worked at looking this over and looking at old lesson plans activities that will prove to be very helpful.
Today has been a very good and crazy day. I woke up earlyish... really it was just not 11, and headed straight for school. I spent most of the morning continuing to go through the cabinets and look over lesson plans and really start thinking about what the first few weeks of school with look like. Later I attended a very informative meeting on actually making lesson plans, and running a classroom. Like I said, very informative, but at some point all of the information is just a bit much. Although most of our things are not here yet most of our ABCCA boxes were sent over on the first crate and today we were able to dig into those. There was so much stuff it was amazing! I was finally able to put up some decorations in my room. It is finally starting to look like a classroom. Allison came and helped me move things and put up decorations and mainly keep me from going insane. She may regret that now, but I was glad to did.
Tonight we cooked our second meal! Spaghetti. It was delicious. (yes, we did skip Tuesday, we opted for cereal) We have also been trying very hard to work on lesson plans and get things ready for when school actually starts.
Looking at this blog again, it doesn't seem like there is too much to be concerned with, but it really can be a bit terrifying at times. The amount of work that still has to be done feels like a daunting task at times, but I am excited to do it. I feel like this is finally starting to "be real" and maybe that is the most terrifying thought. For anywhere from 6 to 9 months we've been talking about "moving to Africa" and all that may or may not entail. And now we're here! The first wave of shock has worn off a bit and we're settling in to our home and now work is the next big step. Like I said, I am excited about all of the things in store, but I am still ever so slightly overwhelmed at what has to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment