Friday, August 26, 2011

A Joyful Sacrifice.

Survival... It seems that this is the only appropriate word for the end of our first week of school. Now, don't get me wrong this has been an excellent week. TONS of fun and exciting things have happened, but it has been quite a long week.
There are just some things that you cannot prepare for when you move to a new country and start a new job. So, as of today (Friday August 26) I have been in Malawi for 22 days. It really doesn't seem like its been that long... and it feels like its been much longer than that all at the same time. In those 22 days we have: started adapting to a new culture, moved into a house (mostly), met what seems like 8000 new people, been given 17KAZILLION new sets of rules and regulations that we should be following for everyday living as well as working, attempted to learn how to shop in Malawi, set up a classroom, prepared lesson plans, and taught a full week of classes. Thinking about all of this now is making me feel like I need to take a nap... It has been a very busy couple of weeks. It has also been a very emotional 22 days. Some days I wake up and am so excited about everything, other days I wake up and think "clearly, I am out of my mind for coming here, I want to go home!" Fortunately the exciting days far outweigh the crazy days. So, hopefully now that the first week of school is done we can move out of survival mode and start getting into a routine and simply start living life....

Okay okay I know that you want to know all about school so here it goes
Monday was an assembly day the kids came into the classroom for about 30 minutes and then we all went to the assembly. Then the day was over. PHEW! We finished up teacher orientation that afternoon and then took a NAP! A much needed nap I might add.
So Tuesday was our first full day in the classroom. In Kindergarten we still didn't do a whole lot as far a curriculum goes. But we spent a lot of time going over "how to be in kindergarten." It was a really good day to do things like... learn everyone's name and see personalities and other things like that. Unfortunately Tuesday night I came home without much of a voice.
Wednesday is when the fun really started. We started learning about the letter 'I' "I says iii INDIAN!" Ahhh! But really. I was glad the kids already knew what to say because my voice was still not really cooperating with me, but Praise the Lord we made it through the day. The kids were troopers listening closing and paying attention. Teaching here is very different from teaching in the states.
Thursday was pretty much the same, continuing to learn "how to have kindergarten" and working on our phonics, math, handwriting, science... all of it. I have told you before I am incredibly blessed to have Mrs. Mpata as a team teacher. She has been teaching with ABC for 8 years. She knows EVERYTHING and is AMAZING. Its very nice to have someone in the classroom who already knows the rules and routines and can focus on other things.... i tell you all of this because
FRIDAY Mrs. Mpata was sick! I feel the need to preface this all with the fact that my phone died in the middle of the night which means that my alarm did not go off this morning. I only woke up about 15 minutes late, but I was still stuck with that rushed feeling. My voice is on the fritz still as well. I was hoping that between the time I got to school and had to teach my first lesson I would have had time to pull myself together... No such luck. Mrs. Mpata was not there. My poor sweet class. I couldn't get their names straight, we were late for chapel, I didn't remember to count to 100 during calender time. But, they took it all in stride and they just help crazy Miss Weimer remember all the things we do in Kindergarten everyday. We made it! I am so grateful that I have a magnificent Savior who provides!
Needless to say it have been a very long very exciting week. I still have A LOT to learn and figure out, but everything is falling into place. I am very happy.

In other news. We have ants... I am still reminding myself everyday that they are not rats, and that is a blessing. I am still very stressed out by, even the thought of shopping here, our drying does not work (we even have two) and someone told Allison that if we hang our clothes out to dry flies will lay eggs on them and then they will burrow into our skin... NOT OKAY! Our tubs leak when we use them which is just good times. I am trying very hard to make sure everyone in my house takes their Malaria meds regularly. I still think it is very strange that when I wake up in the morning you all are just getting to bed and when I get home from school you all are waking up again.... some of you do not sleep enough!
And so here were are day 22. I am convinced that I would not have made it this far without the prayers and support of all of you. So please continue to pray. Pray that school would get easier, that we would continue to learn how to live here, that we will continue to live in peace with one another, that we will be healthy (you all know what this means.), and for continued financial support.

Until next time I am leaving you with this, but you should just read Philippians it is excellent!...

Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me.
Philippians 2. 14-18

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome! Keep up the great work! Isn't it wonderful how forgiving kindergarteners can be?

    Gargle with warm salt water for your voice.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete